Whitelist Request - Zerlske
Your SS14 Username: Zerlske
Your Discord Username (NOT REQUIRED): kevin9374
Briefly describe the background and/or personality of a character you enjoy playing (Can be SS14, DND, or a character you just made up!):
I am new to SS14. I remember hearing a lot of good things about SS13 back in the day and a day or so ago I was randomly reminded of its existence, discovered SS14, and became intrigued. I have never played SS13/SS14, nor have I roleplayed "online" before, so I am not entirely sure of what to expect, but I enjoy TTRPGs (usually rules-light, narratively-focused systems, e.g. various Powered by the Apocalypse systems). Nowadays it is difficult to schedule times to roleplay IRL, so this seems like something that could be fun to do every once in a while when I have some freetime after work.
I don't like sticking to one type of character when I roleplay, nor starting with in depth "character backgrounds", I think it is more fun to begin with a simple idea to riff on and then allow it to form and shape itself into something more concrete through improvisation, emergent narrative and interactions. At the start, not being familiar with SS14 it would be more of a bumbling fool, maybe old and senile, or an alien with little experience of human interaction, or some less essential role (e.g. janitor) as I familiarise myself with the mechanics, controls, and game. I think the more social roles seem more fun, for example reporter, lawyer, psychologist, and detective. Cyborg also seems really fun to me, being beholden to laws, trying to roleplay in a robotic/inhuman way, the horror of being conscious without having free will, and the possibility of being messed with through your laws and being ordered/forced to act in particular ways, and potentially engaging in some malicious compliance.
One character idea I have is a reporter who is something of a conspiracy nut. He would be genuinely inquisitive and serious about his job, but prone to connecting unrelated events into increasingly elaborate theories, riffing on things that happen during the round. A suspicious cargo delivery and an evasive engineer might become evidence of some enormous station-wide conspiracy and inspire a series of articles that might put him at odds with Central Command. I think that would give me a natural reason to talk to people across different departments and generate character interactions with other players without needing to be familiar with advanced mechanics. It would also give me reasons to explore and learn about the station, investigate whatever is happening, and become involved in events without occupying an essential role while I am still learning the game.
What made you join Funky Station?:
I read online that it was a good server, it was near the top of the server list by population, and "Funky Station focuses more heavily on immersive Roleplay and a bit less on chaos" sounds like the type of experience I am looking for. Random chaos with less emphasis on roleplay is basically the opposite of what I am after.